Tuesday 12 July 2011

Vegetable Productivity

I had a very productive weekend, the one before last. But I didn't get to tell you about it. I get behind myself on here during the summer, because either I'm out there doing, or in here writing.


But let's start at the top. When I finally planted the tomatoes a few weekends ago, I just left them. Finally, I got them staked and tied.







Plus, I put some "companion" plants in, namely Marigolds (the tagetes variety). Apparently, they repel "eelworm" and other sorts of garden pests that would attack your tomatoes. Well, I don't really know about that. I've had tomatoes, some years with the Marigolds in between, some not. Not much difference, I still have had a good crop. But, it looks nice.




The tomatoes did so well in the week, with a lot of rain, I had to tie them in again this past weekend - growing very nicely, with lovely flowers, which means some lovely toms.




Next in was the cucumbers - I don't know if I'm late or not, but here's hoping! They actually all have little tiny cucumbers on them. Fingers crossed. If it all works out well, I could be giving them away.







They haven't done much in the week, but I shall nurture them. Sorry, that picture is a bit blurry, I'm still getting used to my new camera.



And then there is the courgette (zucchini). This time it's a yellow variety, and I'm very excited about it. It doesn't look very big now, but it does have tiny little courgettes ready to pop! Or so it seems ... it was an interesting experiment last year, especially when you don't see them until it's too late!






Must keep an eye on them, when it starts spreading like a mad thing ....




And finally, I put in those pretty plants I bought at Phoebe's, at the same time as the veg. Just to jazz up the left border a bit. I am told the one on the left is a Snapdragon. I didn't know that, I just thought it was a lovely colour. The one on the right is of course a Dianthus, or a "Pink" - still smells like cloves. Lovely.





But vegetable-wise, it's all very tame at the moment. I'm waiting for the burst! The rain is useful, of course, even if it means no sun for this little sun-worshiper.

No comments:

Post a Comment