Saturday 7 November 2009

Kitty poem

I keep remembering the first five lines of this rhyme, when I scoop Ginger into my arms and cuddle him. It's very twee, granted, but I think it's cute, and I was happy to find it from a Google search.

I knew this poem from a child when we had cat after cat, until, if some of you remember, I became allergic at the age of 9 (this is Muffin).




So, without further ado, I present you with this anonymous poem. Unfortunately, I had to change the gender, so I lose one particular rhyme ...

I love little Kitty,
His coat is so warm,
And if I don't hurt him,
He'll do me no harm.





So I'll not pull his tail,
Nor drive him away,
But Kitty and I
Very gently will play.




He shall sit by my side,
And I'll give him some food;
And he'll love me because
I am gentle and good.




I'll pat pretty Kitty,
And then he will purr;
And thus show his thanks
For my kindness to him;



But I'll not pinch his ears,
Nor tread on his paw,
Lest I should provoke him
To use his sharp claw.




I never will vex him,
Nor make him displeased -
For Kitty don't like
To be worried or teased.




-Anon

Apparently it first appeared in 1830 to teach young children to respect their cat. As well one should because they can, if they want to, dig all five claws into your hand for no apparent reason.

2 comments:

  1. A lovely poem, I remember the first verse but I don't think I have ever heard the rest. The photos are great, I love the one of you and Muffin.

    ReplyDelete