Monday 16 June 2008

Burn Baby Burn

Well, you see, in conversation over the barbeque last weekend during the power cut, your man upstairs, ever resourceful, had a very good suggestion. He said "I noticed the Hippo Bag there" (they know it well as they renovated their bathroom, and yes a Hippo Bag can hold an entire bathroom suite) "and I was thinking, actually, most of that could be burnt, in one of those cans specially designed for, well, burning."


http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/HarrodSite/product/Composting_Composting%20Accessories/GCO-380.htm


This is the sort of thing. What a super idea, and it frees up the Hippo Bag for, well, anything! But we're thinking of the rubble and soil when we chop back the "ugly front" which I am so longing to do, all in the hopes of putting up some sort of wall, and then some decking tiles down on the patio.








So, lo and behold, husband and I pop to the garden centre on Sunday, and I'm thinking all the time of this burning bin, and back we come and sitting outside the house, is the bin! Him upstairs was very excited about the prospect and didn't waste any time.


Husband had already half emptied the Hippo Bag again of the wood fence panels after that conversation last weekend (which, to be honest, burn like cardboard) to make more room, which means the wood that I had so labouriously carted to the front was back at the side, but only for a short time. I can forgive the fact that I loaded up the Hippo Bag last week on my own, encountering I don't know how many, and how many different kinds of spiders in that pile. Still, no harm done.


It burned!






Oh my how it burned, and most of it, too. D. upstairs was very keen and to be honest does love his fires - husband joined in as much as he could although he had much work to do inside; but all in all the boys were very happy. I was very, very happy! Look!








Tree branches gone, very little left now, except the last bits of wood (she upstairs called him in early evening, else he would have been there burning away to his heart's content until the sun went down).



That ridiculous Ice Cream Cone thing is gone. I actually took the pickaxe to it on Saturday, and it shattered into satisfyingly small pieces of plastic, now ensconced in the Hippo Bag.





All very, very satisfying. And now I see ...

I have my work cut out for me. That patch back there, is in a terrible, terrible mess. A lot of back-breaking, satisfying work to come, preparing that section for several more rows of turf, and a planted border.


I have so many ideas for the border. Not least those Peonies I am carefully looking after until such time as they go in the ground. But oh my ... there is some work to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment