Wednesday 25 May 2011

Tomatoes or Bust

It had to be this last weekend. The next two weekends, I am not available for planting in my own garden. And that leads us to ... the 11th of June? Way too late.



As we in the Finance Department at work are also responsible for the plants out front of the office (figure that one out), I knew that my able assistant Stacey was off to Homebase for some more compost. Having visited there with her a few weeks ago, I also knew that there were some lovely tomatoes on offer, with Jamie Oliver's name attached.





Yes, I like Jamie Oliver, although I do find his recipes a bit too complicated and ingredient-heavy (I'm more of a fan of the cooking style of Nigella Lawson and Nigel Slater). But I appreciate the fact that he wants to get the nation eating more healthily. And is a big proponent of "grow your own".


Never one to miss a trick, he's teamed up with Homebase and really, these tomatoes look very interesting. Heritage varieties, apparently.





The Heritage varieties are: Black Cherry, Tangella and Red Zebra. All very new to me. And then there are the "Novelty" varieties; Tomatoberry, Cintrina, and Green Zebra (I let Stacey pick them out, when I was on the other end of the phone. I blame her if I get some useless tomatoes, although I'm sure they will be wonderful).








Well, why not try something new? I was a bit bored with the variety at my local garden centre.





So in situ, you might notice I have forgone the track in between this year.







I'm trying to leave space at the end, for those new neighbours ... so far, so good, but update on that coming soon. You see there is still space in front for the lettuces and perhaps radishes. Not too closely planted, I hope, but not in a row anymore, more like my sister does in her tomato patch in France.




All I can hope is, that someone does some watering when I am away!



I am so excited for my trip, I can't even begin to tell you.

1 comment: